Concrete surfaces should be cleaned at least once a year to keep them in good shape. Before proceeding to cleaning, endeavour to remove all items such as potted plants, furniture, and decorative items. To clean your concrete surface in your basement, you may need to clean the floor in sections by moving almost all your belongings from one side of the room to the next one and then switching back to completing the job. Check your floor for cracks or chips and make any important repairs before proceeding to cleaning.
Guidelines To Cleaning A Concrete.
- Broom, leaf blower, vacuum cleaner.
- Stiff nylon brush
- Spray bottles
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Laundry detergent
- Safety Goggles
- Pressure washer
Step 1 – remove loose dirt and detritus: Sweep or vacuum loose dirt off the surface of your concrete with one exception; if you have a mould or a mildew problem in your basement.
Step 2 – spot treat stains: One of the most pocket friendly ways to spot treat stains is with liquid laundry detergent and water. Target the area by pouring the liquid soap directly onto the stain, use a stiff nylon brush on the area and rinse with clean water and allow it to dry.
Step 3 – repeat if necessary: If the stain does not go away, boost your cleaning solution with a mixture of white vinegar and water, add baking soda with water and attack the stain again, rinse it thoroughly with a bucket of clean water or a garden hose.
Step 4 – enlist a power washer: If the stain insists, try a pressure washer, you can buy attachments that convert your garden hose into a power washer or rent a machine from your local hardware store. If you rent a machine, step up the pressure carefully as needed, so that you do not inadvertently destroy the concrete. Do not forget to protect the windows, plants, and other things as the water pressure can damage these things.
How Often Can The Concrete Surface Be Cleaned
A concrete can be cleaned once or twice a year depending on the concrete, and again if it gets more shades than sunlight.
Overall Tips On Cleaning A Concrete Driveway
- Re-apply sealer when needed; resealing your driveway every year will restore its like-new appearance and make it less prone to stains. After cleaning the concrete, let it dry for at least 2 or 3 days before resealing so that you do not trap in moisture.
- Act fast; the sooner you remove leaves, oil and grease spill, including other contaminants from your concrete driveway, the easier for you to remove any stains they leave behind. The concrete can absorb stains, especially if it has not been sealed. This will make the dirt more difficult to remove.
- Avoid using defrosting chemicals; using defrosters on your concrete driveway during winter can cause damage to the surface in the form of scaling and spilling. Although sealers for concrete driveway may also fail in some areas where defrosting salts are applied. You can alternatively use sand for traction.
Advantages of having a concrete driveway
- Concrete is a relatively affordable option when you think of longevity. You may need to have a driveway done only once during the time you have a home.
- Concrete is an exceedingly durable surface. When properly installed and cared for, a concrete slab can last upto 50 years or even more.
- Concrete driveways are very strong and reliable. When installed with the proper base and reinforcement, they can carry up to the heaviest vehicle you are probably going to drive.
Disadvantages of having a concrete driveway
- Concrete is not the most attractive building material, although colour-etching and stamping are possible. These decorative treatments still requires more maintenance and typically do not last long as a plain concrete.
- Concrete do require annual maintenance, especially sealing, to ensure the longevity of the slab. Oil and fluids leaking from the vehicles can cause difficult stains to be removed.
- Concrete is not a DIY friendly material for a larger project. Pouring a concrete driveway includes very hard labor, for most people , professional installation is the best choice so far.
If you need help with anything else please feel free to call us on