Starting from moss and weeds to spots of mould and oil spills, block paving is spoiled with different kinds of blemishes during its lifespan. Can it be very unsightly? Yes. But is it easy to maintain? Luckily enough, yes. That is because block paving is naturally low-maintained. That is to say that all you need are a few specialist methods beneath your sleeve to remove the toughest of stains and other unwanted materials. Below are some best ways to clean the block paving driveway.
Basic Block Paving Cleaning
For a start you will need to remove garden furniture and vehicles out of the way, brush away any loose detritus and remove weed and moss around your jointing compound. Now we are set to give the block paving a quick clean. The simplest way to do this is with normal soap and water. Below is how it is done. The requirements for this are; washing up liquids, hard bristled brush, warm water, and bucket.
- Add few squeezes of the washing up liquids in your bucket and add warm water
- Beginning from the corners, pour your solution in batches and scrub until all dirt on your block paving melts.
- Repeat this procedure again until your whole block paving space is scrubbed neat.
Tips; Always scrub diagonally, this will be more gentle on the jointing compound and less dry sand will come out during cleaning. If some sand do come out, there will be need to refill the space up again.
- Clear the dirty water away with a clean bucket of water or with a host, and steer into a drainage point.
- If you feel that the paving stones could use a deeper cleaning, you can still consider these reasons but what you may not do is never to opt for an acid-base cleaner. These mixture eat away the stones, making them less durable and have tendency of long term damage.
Removing Oil Spills From A Block Paving
Someone who mistakenly spills oil over their dress will know how hard it feels to wash out the grease and banish the stain for good. The same goes for a block paving, only that these oil stains gets deeper if not immediately removed. If the oil stains have gradually accumulated for a period of time, it will make the task of cleaning them away more hard and as such you will need a specialist driveway degreaser for this particular block paving cleaning task. The requirements for this are; paving degreaser(non-acid base), hard bristled brush, bucket of water.
Removing The Oil Spill Stains
- Gently pour your paving degreaser on the affected areas and allow for 15-20 minutes for the solution to start working.
- When the time is up, scrub the area well with a hard bristled brush. You will notice the oil lift away from the block paving.
- Fill your bucket with water and rinse the remnant away. If your spill is still remaining, repeat the process over again until deeper oil spills are totally gone.
Problems Of Block Paving Driveway
- Weed and moss: They come in contact with airborne seeds and can settle within the sand and germinate. Weeds and moss probably need to be somewhat cleaned regularly.
- Sinkage: Sub-bases that are either poorly arranged or inadequate can cause sinking in high-usage place or places that carry a lot of weight just as driveways.
- Zero warranties and poor quality services: There are no expensive machinery to lay block paving. Due to this many operators joining the block paver business. While warranty maybe offered, it is not for sure to be credible. Even more, many block pavers have few experience and are not qualified block paving driveway installers.
- Drainage channel maybe needed: When a permeable block paver is not used, drainage channel must be installed so that storage water can drain away. This as well add to the total cost.
- Discoloration: For some of the less costly block paving driveway, the colour may fade away with time. This is caused by UV light exposure.
- Block move: Blocks may move and have gaps created when curbing or edge restraints are not used in the proper places. Kerbing and edging restraints provides the surface areas with integrity.
How Frequently The Cleaning Is Done
Even after the cleaning and sealing job, any outward surface in your country is going to be needing some maintenance and aftercare. Whilst the result will be impressive, they will not last for eternity without a little bit of assistant. And there are a lot you can do just to assist by doing a couple of important things. It is advisable to give the surface a thorough sweep frequently, to prevent the residue from accumulating in the joints. If you notice any green algae present on the blocks just put some diluted weed killer in a watering jar and spread on the algae and this will get rid of the green algae. While you can hose down the surface to keep it looking neat, annual cleaning would be worth scheduling. Be prepared as well that even in good time weather, it is going to take a couple of days to dry.
If you need help with anything else please feel free to call us on