It is advisable to remove dirt and stains from the driveway as soon as you notice them. However, most homeowners wait for summer or spring months to wash their driveways simply because algae and moss are more visible then. It is also necessary to choose a cloudy day for the washing to prevent quick drying, which can compromise the cleaning effectiveness. It should take about 1 to 2 hours or an afternoon depending on the size of the space.
Preparing The Cleaning Tools And Equipment
For the best result you will need to have various driveway cleaning tools. You will require the following
- Sawdust or kitty litter (absorbent)
- A quality scrub brush (grill brush)
- Outdoor broom
- Hose pipe or sprayer
- Dish or laundry detergent
- A gallon size bucket
Removal Of Grease Or Antifreeze Spill Stains
Brake fluid, oil and gasoline spills from your car can really destroy the attractiveness of your driveway. Hence, it is very important to remove them early enough to prevent ugly staining of the surface. To clean the grease and oil mess, spray your absorbent of choice onto the stains and leave it for some hours to absorb as much of the oil or grease as possible. Sawdust or kitty litter can be used. You can spray about 2 inches of the absorbent if possible, you may leave it for a full day or 12 hours in order to absorb much of the spills.
Sweeping Off Absorbent And Other Litter Off The Driveway
Collect the sawdust or kitty litter and sweep the entire driveway to remove any loose dirt such as dry leaves, soil particles, mud and other debris. Use a strong stiff-bristled broom that is meant for outdoor works to ensure that all the debris and dirt has been removed from the cracks.
Use The Detergents To Soak And Dissolve The Stain
You can either use the powder dishing washing detergent over the stain or a solution of washing soda and hot water.
- The recommended solution ratio is 2 cups of detergent in a three quarter full bucket of hot water. If your driveway is made of asphalt, it is advisable to strictly use the manufacturers recommended detergents.
- Allow the detergents to sit for approximately 30 minutes, and then scrub the stained areas using the deck brush and the detergent solution
- At last, use a hose pipe at the highest possible pressure to rinse the driveway with clean water.
Cleaning Paint Spills
Spilling paint on the driveway can leave a very ugly look or patches on your driveway which can become a headache to get rid of. The type of paint will determine the best way you can easily use to remove the patches. The following ways are available for different types of paint removal.
- For oil based paints, you will need to use a paint-stripping solution and scrub it off with a stiff brush. Depending on the level of stain, allow it to settle for some minutes or hours before rinsing it off with clean water. This is only recommended for concrete driveway as the stripping products may damage the asphalt material. In this case, you can use a sealer to cover the affected area.
- For latex paints, use water together with the normal scrubbing powder and scrub the spill with a stiff brush. Use clean water to rinse the surface in order to wash away the spills.
Cleaning Dry Leaves And Organic Litter
Grass from the lawn and falling leaves can accumulate on the driveway making it look unsightly. Apart from that, when left for a long time, they can decompose and leave a stain on the surface. To clean the fallen leaves mess, you need to take them away and sweep the entire driveway. If you notice a brown stain on the surface, use a solution of dish washing powder and a bucket of hot water and scrub off the stain with a stiff brush. Using the hose pipe, rinse the driveway to wash away the dirt.
Removing Rusty Stains
Leaving any metallic object that is prone to rust on the driveway surface will cause rusty spots on the driveway. The most effective way to remove rust stains on the driveway is to use muriatic acid to scrub on it. Carefully add a half cup of the acid into approximately 4 cups of cold water. With the solution and a stiff brush, scrub off the stains. It is important to follow the products safety precautions and use protective wears to prevent acid contact with your skin.
Pressure Washing The Driveway
You can effectively remove dirt, mud, mildew and other debris that makes your driveway look unattractive by pressure washing. It is advisable to read the pressure cleaning manual before using it. This will enable you to understand the best detergents for your specific problem.
- The initial step is to attach the hose pipe to the cleaner and pressure wash the entire driveway to remove loose dirt and debris.
- Attach the soaping nozzle and soak the surface using the recommended detergent and allow it to sit for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the detergent has worked out the sticky stains and dirt, blast it off using the surface attachment
- Finally use the 25 degree nozzle to rinse the driveway.
Driveway cleaning can be time consuming and a bit tricky, but with the right tools and information, it will be simple and faster. It is very important to understand the type or material of your driveway and find out the best cleaning method that will not damage the surface. If you have no idea about this, you can consult specialists or professionals for guidance and direction.
Again, depending on your driveway cleaning needs, prepare all the necessary tools or equipment for the job. You may hire professional driveway cleaning services to do the job for you or hire some of the equipment in order to do it yourself.
If you need help with anything else please feel free to call us on